Today’s Ten on Tuesday topic from Carole Knits is 10 things you do to calm down.
- Knit. I’m not sure if she does it on purpose, but I think knitting has been an answer to every Ten on Tuesday I’ve ever participated in (with maybe the exception of the one about shoes. I don’t have special knitting shoes.). Anyway, getting in a couple of rows is sure to take the edge off almost anything.
- Go to Starbucks and order a tall, soy, no water, extra hot, Chai latte. If things are super dire, a grande. But this is most definitely my comfort drink.
- Make a cup of tea. This is an interesting one for me. I’d almost always pick coffee over tea, but the process of making tea is actually really calming. I didn’t know that until I moved to England. We used to communally make tea in my office (if you wanted one, you went round and asked everyone else and then usually commenced a rather large tea-making operation). But the process of putting the kettle on to boil, digging out tea bags, sweeteners and milk, and waiting for the tea to steep really gives you some calm time. Once my office got an instant hot water thing, it got way less relaxing. But I have an electric kettle at home, so I can still get the benefit somewhere!
- Take some deep breaths.
- Do yoga. Every time I do yoga, I am always surprised at how good it feels and the calm I feel afterwards.
- Read. Getting lost in someone else’s words crowds out the space in my mind where I have an annoying internal dialogue that could be keeping me from being calm.
- Eat chocolate. Sometime emotional eating is the way forward.
- Find a way to get some alone time. A few minutes in a room by myself can do wonders.
- Listen to music. Sometimes the right song is all you need.
- Take a cat nap. I am a master at 10 minute naps. And they work. For pretty much everything!