hat, knitting

Sailor Hats 2013, Round 2

I did a bit of a scramble to get a couple of Sailor Hats done by the November 11 deadline. I’ve tried very hard not to miss a deadline (they are on Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day) since I committed to the cause.

This time, I very nearly got overwhelmed by baby things and selfish knitting (bad, bad, bad, I know!), but I did manage to squeak in two hats just in time. As in, I was weaving in the ends on the second one the day I took them to the post office — practically while I was on my way there. And they just made it in time.

Sailor Hats from November 2013
Both hats are made of out Cascade 128 Superwash (one of my all time favorites – squishy, warm, washable and bulky!) and follow the Hat Fit for a Boyfriend pattern – yes, even the red one. I simply did the decreases as indicated but all in stockinette with no ribbing. I tried it on multiple people, and it still seemed to fit nicely with just the brim in ribbing. I don’t love the way it looks flat, but it’s not really the point for it to be pretty when no one is wearing it, right?

Both hats followed my modification for bulky yarn:

  • cast on 80 stitches
  • use a size 10 US needle
  • knit 6 – 6.5” prior to decreasing (depends on how I feel!)

My mom also participated with me this time and finished up three, so we had a respectable family total of five. Hope to have more done for May 2014!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s