I always try to knit things that are useful, but I think that dishcloths are perhaps my hardest working knitting projects.
My parents exclusively use dishcloths I’ve made them for doing their dishes. I haven’t given them a new one since May 2011, and most of their supply came from my great dishcloth making year of 2010.
They told me last week that one of their dishcloths had finally developed a hole in the middle and had to be thrown away. No problem, I thought, I can replace that in a jiffy! And on Sunday afternoon, I did:
This is the B Dishcloth pattern done in some old Peaches & Creme from my stash in Bright Navy using size 8 needles.
Once I delivered it on Monday, they told me that yet another one had bitten the dust since they told me about the first one. Soooo… back to the needles! Yesterday afternoon, I made my first round dishcloth:
This pattern is The Cotton Dishcloth (once removed or dressed up) and done in Sugar’n Cream in Swimming Pool on size 7 needles. It was my first time doing this pattern, though I’ve made the related Girly Bib before. I wish there were some better instructions on how to seam up the dishcloth and gather the middle so that it truly looks like the other pieces. I think I did pretty well on the seam, but it does look like I’m missing a yarn over in the middle (though it’s not really a yo, it’s a gap created by turning your work) on the side where I seamed, which I didn’t realize until I tightened everything up and was already finished. Overall, I don’t think it’s too bad. And – to be real – it’s a dishcloth that is going to go through a lot of abuse, so I don’t think it really matters. As long as it’s a strong seam (which it is), everything should be fine.
I’ll be delivering this lovely spring-looking dishcloth to my parents soon – just in time for the 6-10” of snow we’re expecting on Sunday!
Have a great weekend!